sales

How the use of free Google platforms led to the rise of a multi-million Series A funded start-up

SINGAPORE (May 31): Gabriel Lim is a tinkerer at heart, having spent hundreds of hours in his school computer labs as a kid building websites and trying his hand at hacking.

That tinkering hobby led Lim to leave a full-time job as a software engineer in 2015 to bring tech start-up Saleswhale to life with co-founders Venus Wong and Ethan Le. 

Around that time, Lim discovered the Google Cloud API platform and later on, Google’s free, open-source software library, Tensorflow.

Oxley's potential $950 mil deal falls through after Gracious Land defaults on $38 mil deposit

SINGAPORE (Mar 20): Oxley Gem, a subsidiary of Oxley Holdings, has terminated the letter of intent (LOI) it received from Gracious Land in Jan for the $950 million purchase of its Mercure and Novotel hotels, after not receiving a subsequent deposit of $38 million when it was due.

In a late night filing on Tuesday, the group says Gracious Land has requested for a refund of the initial $9.5 million deposit it paid for the two hotels on Stevens Road to Oxley Gem.

Singapore home sales rebound as buyers move past latest curbs

(Oct 15): Private home sales in Singapore jumped 51% in September as developers marketed more projects post the hungry-ghost festival month, a period Chinese buyers consider inauspicious, and as buyers moved past the additional cooling measures imposed in July.

Developers in the city-state sold 932 units, the Urban Redevelopment Authority said in a statement Monday. That compares with 617 units in August, the data show. Total apartments launched for sale last month more than doubled to 1,169.

Oxley says 40% of Mayfair Gardens sold over weekend

SINGAPORE (Oct 1): Developer Oxley Holdings says its Mayfair Gardens luxury condominium project, was 40% sold during its official launch weekend on Sept 29-30.

Althogether, 87 units out of the 215 units were snapped up by homebuyers. The average price for the 87 units sold was $1,900 psf. Units sold range from 1-bedroom to 4-bedroom apartments. In addition, three of the six penthouses were sold. The buyers comprise 85% Singaporeans while the other 15% was made up of permanent residents and foreigners.

CityDev says 315 units at The Tapestry sold over weekend launch

SINGAPORE (Mar 26): City Developments (CDL) says 315 or 70% of the 450 units it released for the 861-unit The Tapestry over 24-25 Mar has been sold at an early bird average selling price of $1,310 psf.

In a Sunday release, the developer notes that all of The Tapestry’s unit types have enjoyed a good take-up rate, particularly the one and two-bed room types.

Gloom for retailers as Chinese tourists spend less on shopping

SHANGHAI (July 11): They’re still coming in droves -- but no longer buying in spades.

After propping up sales for overseas retailers over the past decade with a shopping-driven tourism agenda, Chinese visitors are no longer returning home with suitcases bulging like before.

A new survey by consultancy Oliver Wyman shows Chinese tourist numbers and holiday expenditure continuing to rise last year, even as shopping during overseas travel dropped 17% from a year earlier.

Rich Indonesians snap up Singapore luxury homes as taxman calls

SINGAPORE (Sept 13): Nevermind that Singapore is experiencing one of the worst property slumps in its history, demand for luxury housing is suddenly coming from an unexpected group: wealthy Indonesians.

Be informed of the stories that matter

Subscribe

Be informed of the stories that matter