SINGAPORE (June 19): Video calls are increasingly getting popular as people observe social distancing while working from home. There are many platforms out there and you have a choice of more social video chats that include party games such as Houseparty or professional ones like Zoom, which are widely used for business meetings. While your friends or co-workers can’t see past what you show them, sprucing up for a video call can be easy. Options ask Jo Purwati, Tom Ford Beauty’s education and lead, for some simple makeup tips to follow.
How different should one apply makeup for a video business call?
Makeup for video calls can be simpler compared to your usual office makeup. Focus on enhancing your natural features, especially your eyes, and perfecting your skin and base. As the in-built camera on our laptops are generally nonhigh definition, hence it will not pick-up too much on the details as compared to in-person actual view.
What are the basic makeup tools we need?
The basic makeup tools for an easy glowup on video calls are a good foundation with light-medium coverage, an eye-brow sculptor, eye liner, and lipstick. Brushes are important tools as well.
Where do we start?
To achieve the look, you will need:
• Foundation (above) to even out your complexion and reduce the look of imperfections on camera, leaving skin luminous and flawless. The Tom Ford Shade and Illuminate Soft Radiance Foundation SPF 50/PA++++ will be the perfect choice which provides 3-Dimensional Radiance (with both makeup effect and skincare benefits) and 12-hour long-wear, giving you the natural look ready to zoom from one call to the next, while enjoying great hydration and calming properties from hyaluronic acid and Noni extract.
• In the world of Tom Ford, the brows are one of the most important features of the face. A perfectly groomed and shaped brow is a powerful way to define and enhance your features. Tom Ford Brow Sculptor will be the key to define, groom, and shape those brows.
• To further enhance a sharper look for the call, lining the eyes with deep brown or black eyeliner will give more definition and energy to the overall look. Try Tom Ford Emotion proof Liner as it has long-lasting staying power and natural finish.
• Lastly, lipstick to add colour anwarmth to the overall look. To Tom Ford, there is no more dramatic accessory than a perfect lip. It is the focus of the face and it has the power to define a woman’s whole look. Each Tom Ford Lip Color is Tom Ford’s modern ideal of an essential makeup shade.
We talk about makeup but what about skincare? Any tips on what good habits we can form while we continue to stay home even after the “circuit breaker” measures are completely lifted?
While makeup definitely helps with an instant result for the overall look, skin care is important in building a healthy base. When your skin is well taken care of, the effort on your makeup application will be reduced as you will not be spending too much time concealing imperfections.
The key to good skincare habits is building the right habit or routine. Despite whether we continue to work from home or return to work in office, our skin will need to adapt to the changes in our lifestyle.
With a good skincare habit, your skin will experience less disruption as it has better resilience and is able to recover from the stress quicker. I would recommend the Tom Ford Research line, especially the newest Tom Ford Research Eye Repair Concentrate which instantly and effectively works to refresh and revitalize the eye area with a power surge of hydration to help brighten and reawaken your eyes for Zoom video calls.
Some say lipsticks will not be popular anymore as our lips will be hidden behind a mask. What do you think?
Lipsticks are the perfect finishing touch to a look. It may be hidden behind the mask, but don’t you want to show your completed look with lipsticks when you remove your mask during your meal time?
Rules of engagement
Even though you are not face-to-face with your clients or colleagues, there are still some basic rules you will need to bear in mind. Here are some tips to take note:
1. Sit in a quiet room, shut the door and lock it or risk the kids barging in on your meeting.
2. The room should have a neat background such as a bookshelf with a plant and no clutter — otherwise it will be too distracting.
3. If you do not have a suitable location, choose a background screen that is preferably plain.
4. Check your teeth, the last thing your clients want to see is spinach lodged in your tooth.
5. Comb your hair, it is always important to look presentable — even if you just rolled out of bed.
6. Always mute your microphone when not speaking.
7. When sharing your screen, make sure you have deleted all incriminating images of your boyfriend or girlfriend first.
8. Always be on time.
9. Give your colleagues or clients your full attention — that means no checking your phone or answering emails.
10. When the call ends, say goodbye and log off. There is no need to wait for the others to hang up first.
Accessories make everything better
A pair of earrings, necklace or even a brooch can make a huge difference to your look — it says that you are professional and your choice of understated jewellery speaks volumes.
Is it a brooch, a pendant or a hair clip? That’s the beauty of the very versatile Frivole collection by Van Cleef & Arpels.
Harry Winston has the Winston Gate collection of exquisite floral collections that sends a message to your clients that you are classy, sensible and take your work seriously.