SINGAPORE (Apr 17): It is Week 2 of the circuit breaker and if you’re looking for something to tickle your tastebuds, we’ve got you covered. At Options, we miss dining out as much as you do, so we’ve come up with the Chef’s Challenge: One chef, one dish, and one condition — the dish must be something anyone can whip up at home in under 30 minutes. Here, Chef Vincent Aw of ParkRoyal on Beach Road takes on our Chef’s Challenge with his sweet and savoury Hokkaido scallop, “cauliflower rice” and apple salad.
• Poach and chop the cauliflower. Set aside
• Chop the shallots and chives
• In a mixing bowl, prepare the cauliflower rice. Fold in the cauliflower with the shallots, chives and mayonnaise. Season to taste with salt, pepper and curry powder
• To create the salad dressing, mix olive oil, ikura roe, hazelnuts (chopped) and lemon juice
• On medium-high heat pan, sear the scallops until golden brown on each side before letting it rest
• To serve, mix in apples, baby radish, scallops and cauliflower ‘rice’ in the salad dressing and mix well, adding in green herbs or edible flowers as garnish.
This dish is an easy dish to make at home, especially in times like these when we could all use a little treat. You can also make it your own by substituting with certain condiments such as the fresh herbs, raisins, almonds and seaweed flakes. My inspiration for this dish is to create a meal that is both satisfying, and healthy. As more people are becoming health conscious, a recipe like this can easily be personalised, plus it is also keto friendly!
Here’s a crucial tip: To get a nice, even sear and beautiful caramelisation on the scallops, make sure to pat each piece dry before placing it onto the pan.
Chef Vincent Aw is executive chef of ParkRoyal on Beach Road, and he has more than 10 years of extensive culinary experience in the hospitality industry. In his career, he has worked alongside culinary legends in topnotch hotels and Michelin-starred restaurants, including world-renowned Phillipe Legrand and celebrity chef Emmanuel Stroobant. Aw has also participated in multiple culinary competitions and has clinched many accolades and awards throughout his career, including a Gold Medal and Overall Runner-Up at Food and Hotel Asia (FHA) 2012 while representing the Singapore Chefs Association and Singapore National Team, the Epicurean Award 2017, and he was first runner-up in Star Chef 2, organised by a local broadcaster. In his role as executive chef, he oversees the kitchen team across all the food and be