SINGAPORE (Apr 30): Have a sudden craving for something Middle-Eastern? Why not try your hand at some delicious, easy falafels? This week, we issued our Chef’s Challenge to Chef Jasper Jek, Chef-Partner at Super Simple, who has shared his recipe for easy-to-make falafels, which are baked rather than deep-fried. This healthy snack will surely hit all the spots with its crispy exterior and fluffy interior, and fragrant spices. Psst... did you know that you can also pair it with a crisp, sweet Chardonnay?
1. Rinse and soak dried chickpeas in water overnight. Do not use canned chickpeas, as it will result in a much denser outcome, which is not what we want to achieve.
2. Drain chickpeas off water. Transfer chickpeas into a food processor. Add in onion, parsley, coriander, garlic, chickpea flour, salt, and spices.
3. Pulse ingredients into a texture finer than couscous. Use a spatula to scrape the sides of the processor occasionally, to have it blended evenly.
4. Cover mixture and leave in the fridge for an hour (it’s easier to shape the falafel balls when cold).
5. Line a baking tray with baking paper. Spread oil on baking paper.
6. Remove mixture from the fridge and shape them into 25g balls. The balls are light and fluffy. It is natural that they may break apart. (Once baked, they will be intact and will not break.) Place balls on the prepared baking tray.
7. Preheat oven to 210°C.
8. Spray or brush balls with oil. Place the tray with falafel balls into the oven. Bake at 200°C for 9–10 mins.
9. Serve hot, with Tahini or Super Simple’s Miso Ginger dressing.
"At Super Simple, our philosophy is to always retain the natural goodness of the ingredients and present healthy, nutritious dishes in a delicious way. This adaptation uses chickpeas and soy bean oil, which have no cholesterol, and we bake our version instead of deep-frying it. Super Simple has also rolled out its JUST range of product — ready-to-eat dishes that are vacuum-packed and can easily be heated and served up in fewer than five minutes. The falafel is also available in ready-to-eat packaging. Place your order at https://www.supersimple.sg/order. Delivery is free for purchases of $50 and above. We recommend you accompany the falafel with bulgur wheat ($6, comes frozen in 250g packs), roasted cauliflower ($4, 135g per pack) and ponzu citrus dashi ($5)." — Chef Jek
Jasper Jek is one of the two partners at Super Simple, and previously trained at Michelin-starred establishments such as Martin Berasategui (Spain, three stars), RE - NAA (Norway, one star), and Joël Robuchon Restaurant (Singapore, three stars)
A little something extra
Why not try pairing this treat with the Veramonte Chardonnay 2018? This wine offers plenty of sweet, ripe fruit, along with a healthy dose of vanilla-scented oak, to perfectly complement the falafel and enhance the match. Get it at: https://maltwineasia.com/product/veramonte-chardonnay-2018-organic/ Promotion Price: $28 (U.P. $40)