Home News In print this week

Logistics Holdings targets new revenue stream turning marine clay to ‘sand’

Chan Chao Peh
Chan Chao Peh7/3/2017 08:00 AM GMT+08  • 4 min read
Logistics Holdings targets new revenue stream turning marine clay to ‘sand’
SINGAPORE (July 3): Little-known contractor and property developer Logistics Holdings claims to have patented a way to turn waste marine clay into a material that can be used as a substitute for sand. If it succeeds in commercialising the process, the bar
Font Resizer
Share to WhatsappShare to FacebookShare to LinkedInMore Share
Scroll to top
Follow us on Facebook and join our Telegram channel for the latest updates.

SINGAPORE (July 3): Little-known contractor and property developer Logistics Holdings claims to have patented a way to turn waste marine clay into a material that can be used as a substitute for sand. If it succeeds in commercialising the process, the barely profitable company with a market cap of just $37.4 million could draw a surge of market interest.

Some eight million cu m of marine clay is dug up at Singapore’s construction sites every year. Contractors generally pay about $30 a tonne to have this wet, silty soil and other construction waste trucked away and dumped. On the other hand, Singapore’s construction industry has a voracious appetite for sand, and export bans by neighbouring countries have caused prices to skyrocket in the past. At the moment, Singapore imports most of its sand from Cambodia, Vietnam and the Philippines for about $15 per cu m.

With funding from the Building and Construction Authority and other government programmes, Logistics Holdings says it has developed a machine that dries the marine clay and transforms it into a sand substitute. This new material has been trademarked as “NewSoil”. Logistics Holdings has set up a 60%-owned subsidiary called New Soil Technologies to commercialise this system. The remaining 40% is held by Vincent Tan, a supplier of building materials and friend of Phua Lam Soon, CEO of Logistics Holdings.

For more insights on corporate trends...
Sign In or Create an account to access our premium content.
Subscription Entitlements:
Less than $9 per month
Unlimited access to latest and premium articles
3 Simultaneous logins across all devices
Bonus unlimited access to online articles and virtual newspaper on The Edge Malaysia (single login)
×
Loading next article...
The Edge Singapore
Download The Edge Singapore App
Google playApple store play
Keep updated
Follow our social media
Subscribe to The Edge Singapore
Get credible investing ideas from our in-depth stock analysis, interviews with key executives, corporate movements coverage and their impact on the market.
© 2022 The Edge Publishing Pte Ltd. All rights reserved.