Home News Oil & Gas

Banks affected by Hin Leong hit snag to tap $2 bil in Lim assets

Bloomberg
Bloomberg9/2/2020 10:51 AM GMT+08  • 3 min read
Banks affected by Hin Leong hit snag to tap $2 bil in Lim assets
The impasse signals that the banks, which also include Singapore’s DBS Group Holdings Ltd., may face a long battle to recover any money from the insolvent firm.
Font Resizer
Share to WhatsappShare to FacebookShare to LinkedInMore Share
Scroll to top
Follow us on Facebook and join our Telegram channel for the latest updates.

Efforts by banks including HSBC Holdings Plc and ABN Amro Bank NV to recover US$3.5 billion ($4.76 billion) from a collapsed oil trader in Singapore have hit a snag over attempts by a court-appointed manager to tap other assets of the family that ran the firm.

PricewaterhouseCoopers, judicial managers of Hin Leong (Pte) Ltd., has urged the family to repay creditors with 95% of their assets, estimated to be worth at least $2 billion, according to people familiar with the matter. The family could keep the remaining 5%, said the people, who asked not to be identified because the information is confidential. The Lim family hasn’t agreed to the proposal, stymying talks, the people said.

The impasse signals that the banks, which also include Singapore’s DBS Group Holdings Ltd., may face a long battle to recover any money from the insolvent firm. Executives at Hin Leong allegedly hid some US$800 million in losses for years and sold millions of barrels of oil that were collateral for bank loans, according to court documents. Lim Oon Kuin, the patriarch who founded Hin Leong, has been charged with abetment of forgery for the purpose of cheating, punishable by up to 10 years in prison.

For more insights on corporate trends...
Sign In or Create an account to access our premium content.
Subscription Entitlements:
Less than $9 per month
Unlimited access to latest and premium articles
3 Simultaneous logins across all devices
Bonus unlimited access to online articles and virtual newspaper on The Edge Malaysia (single login)
×
Loading next article...
The Edge Singapore
Download The Edge Singapore App
Google playApple store play
Keep updated
Follow our social media
Subscribe to The Edge Singapore
Get credible investing ideas from our in-depth stock analysis, interviews with key executives, corporate movements coverage and their impact on the market.
© 2022 The Edge Publishing Pte Ltd. All rights reserved.