Chip Eng Seng to acquire remaining shares in CES Tropical (Maldives) for US$1.3 mil

Felicia Tan
Felicia Tan12/13/2022 06:17 PM GMT+08  • 2 min read
Chip Eng Seng to acquire remaining shares in CES Tropical (Maldives) for US$1.3 mil
The sale shares represent 30% of the total issued share capital in CES Tropical (Maldives).
Font Resizer
Share to WhatsappShare to FacebookShare to LinkedInMore Share
Scroll to top
Follow us on Facebook and join our Telegram channel for the latest updates.

Chip Eng Seng Corporation, on Dec 13, announced that it is proposing to acquire the remaining 30% of shares it does not own in its joint venture company (JVCo) CES Tropical (Maldives) for US$1.3 million ($1.8 million).

The group’s wholly-owned subsidiary, CES Hotels (Maldives), entered into a sale and purchase agreement (SPA) with Tropical Developments Pte Ltd to acquire all of the latter’s shares in CES Tropical (Maldives).

The sale shares represent 30% of the total issued share capital in CES Tropical (Maldives). The remaining 70% is already owned by CES Hotels (Maldives).

CES Tropical (Maldives), in turn, holds 99% of the issued share capital of Samarafushi Pvt Ltd (SPL), and SPL owns the leasehold interest in a lagoon located in North Male Atoll, Maldives.

According to Chip Eng Seng, there are plans for the lagoon to be developed into a five-star resort. CES Hotels (Maldives) owns the remaining 1% of the issued capital of SPL.

In its statement, the group revealed that the acquisition will allow the group to have “full control” over the development and construction of the lagoon, as well as oversee the corporate affairs of CES Tropical (Maldives) and SPL.

See also: Mercatus divests 50% indirect stake in Nex for $652.5 mil

It adds that it has “adequate resources” to proceed with the development of the lagoon without a JV partner.

Upon the completion of the acquisition, CES Hotels (Maldives) will take over the shareholders’ loans granted by Tropical Developments to CES Tropical (Maldives) for US$3.0 million for cash. The amount comprising the purchase price of the shares as well as the shareholder loans will be funded from internal cash resources.

Based on the latest unaudited management accounts of CES Tropical (Maldives), the net asset value (NAV) attributed to the sale shares is around US$2.99 million.

See also: Sats shareholders approve WFS acquisition, projected to be completed by April 2023

The completion of the acquisition will take place within or around 10 business days from the date of the execution of the SPA.

Shares in Chip Eng Seng closed flat at 75 cents.

×
Loading next article...
The Edge Singapore
Download The Edge Singapore App
Google playApple store play
Keep updated
Follow our social media
Subscribe to The Edge Singapore
Get credible investing ideas from our in-depth stock analysis, interviews with key executives, corporate movements coverage and their impact on the market.
© 2022 The Edge Publishing Pte Ltd. All rights reserved.