Home News Deals, joint ventures & alliances

Hong Lai Huat signs JV agreement for fourth mixed-use project in Cambodia

Atiqah Mokhtar
Atiqah Mokhtar11/1/2021 09:52 AM GMT+08  • 2 min read
Hong Lai Huat signs JV agreement for fourth mixed-use project in Cambodia
Hong Lai Huat will pay US$10 mil for a 49.6% stake in the JV company and contribute US$5 mil towards working capital.
Font Resizer
Share to WhatsappShare to FacebookShare to LinkedInMore Share
Scroll to top
Follow us on Facebook and join our Telegram channel for the latest updates.

Hong Lai Huat Group has entered into a joint venture agreement with Smart Winner Co. for a mixed-use development project in Cambodia on Nov 1.

Under the agreement, Hong La Huat will pay US$10 million ($13.5 million) for a 49.6% stake in the joint venture company. Smart Winner Co., which owns the 11.5-hectare site for the proposed development, will hold the remaining 50.4% stake.

Hong Lai Huat will also contribute US$5 million towards the working capital of the joint venture company. In addition, it has the right of first refusal to purchase an additional 19.54% stake in the JV company for US$6.5 million within the next 12 months.

The site is located in the Sihanoukville Province of Cambodia, marking Hong Lai Huat’s second foray in the province following mixed-use development Project D’Seaview.

Based on preliminary studies, approximately three to five hectares of the site will be developed into a wholesale and distribution centre that includes a seafood market, while the remaining land will be subdivided into smaller plots for mixed-use development.

See: Hong Lai Huat signs JV with HSC Group for exploration and mining of mineral resources

See also: YKGI enters into non-binding MOU with Pin Si Kitchen

Development of the project is expected to commence in 2Q2022, after obtaining all the necessary regulatory approvals. Once the wholesale and distribution centre has been developed, Hong Lai Huat says it will either lease or sell it to a potential operator.

“Despite the continuous challenges brought by the Covid-19 pandemic, our prospects in Cambodia remain bright. We are pleased to unveil our latest joint-venture investment, which is expected to drive further upside for the Group in the near future,” says Hong Lai Huat Executive Director Ong Jia Jing.

“Not only do we gain a recurring source of rental income from the development, we are also likely to benefit from the development of mixed-use project or potential sale of the remaining strata title plots,” he adds.

See also: Metech terminates JV for lab-grown diamonds citing incurable breach of JVA

As at 9.51am, shares in Hong Lai Huat are up 0.1 cents or 1.01% higher at 10 cents.

Photo: Hong Lai Huat

Loading next article...
The Edge Singapore
Download The Edge Singapore App
Google playApple store play
Keep updated
Follow our social media
Subscribe to The Edge Singapore
Get credible investing ideas from our in-depth stock analysis, interviews with key executives, corporate movements coverage and their impact on the market.
© 2022 The Edge Publishing Pte Ltd. All rights reserved.