Singapore’s Health Ministry has announced that pre-departure tests will be required for travellers from India who are not Singapore citizens or permanent residents. 

This is as MOH observed “a significant number of imported cases with recent travel history to India”, as well as reports of a resurgence of infections in India. 

MOH said travellers who are not Singapore Citizens or Permanent Residents, and who have recent travel history to India within the last 14 days prior to entry will be required to take a Covid-19 polymerase chain reaction (PCR) test within 72 hours before departure. 

Travellers will then need to present a valid negative Covid-19 test result as a condition of approval to enter Singapore. 

This requirement will take effect for those arriving in Singapore from September 17 2020 at 12 am, and will apply on top of the existing requirements of a 14-day Stay-Home Notice (SHN) at dedicated SHN facilities and a negative Covid-19 test before the end of their SHN.

The ministry said it will continue to adjust border measures to manage the risk of importation and any onward transmission to the community. Travellers planning to enter Singapore should be prepared to be subjected to the prevailing border measures upon entry, including payment for their stay at dedicated SHN facilities and tests, where applicable.

Stepped-up enforcement of F&B outlets in Singapore

Education Minister Lawrence Wong has also announced tougher measures against food and beverage (F&B) outlets here that flout safe management measures (SMM). 

Wong said authorities will now take enforcement measures against first-time F&B outlets that flout Covid-19 safe distancing measures, from issuing them a fine to closure of the business, if the breaches are severe. 

MOH said these breaches include the sale and consumption of alcohol after 10.30pm, individuals not wearing masks as required, gathering in groups of more than five and intermingling between groups, seating customers less than 1 metre apart, and the playing of loud music.

Currently, authorities will typically issue a warning for these first time offenders. But Wong believes that “enough time has passed”, and that authorities will begin enforcement actions against even first time offenders.

Speaking at the press conference, Wong said “I’m glad that most people, F&B operators and diners ... are complying with these measures." 

"But there are still a few breaches that we pick up literally on a daily basis and they typically happen at the popular night spots - not always, but very often at some of these popular areas.”

Earlier this month, Enterprise Singapore fined 5 establishments for failing to ensure a minimum 1-metre safe distance between groups of diners, the Singapore Food Agency issued fines and suspended the operations of a bar and two restaurants for SMM breaches, and the Singapore Tourism Board (STB) ordered a restaurant to cease operations for flouting SMMs. 

Since the start of Phase 2, around 20 F&B establishments have been suspended.