Chip Eng Seng to acquire up to 75% stake in US education consulting firm

Chip Eng Seng to acquire up to 75% stake in US education consulting firm

By: 
Michelle Zhu
21/05/18, 07:08 pm

SINGAPORE (May 21): Chip Eng Seng (CES) is planning to acquire up to 75% in Pennsylvania-based American Scholar Group (ASG) for US$1.5 million ($2 million).  

ASG is a full-service education consulting organisation which facilitates study-in-America opportunities for both students and educators by placing them into ASG’s partner schools including K-12 schools, colleges and universities.

The acquisition comes after the construction and property group in March announced plans to diversify into the education sector to widen its income base.

Under the terms of the investment agreement, subsidiary CES ASG (CESA) has granted an unsecured convertible loan of US$0.5 million in lump sum to ASG for an initial 36 months from today, which ASG is due to repay on May 21 2021.

ASG, in turn, has granted CESA an option to subscribe for up to 26,853 million new shares in the US company’s stock at the aggregate subscription price of US$1 million.

Should CESA exercise its loan conversion right and subscription option, CESA would hold 75% of the capital of ASG’s enlarged shareholdings.

See: Chip Eng Seng to diversify extensively into education sector

See: Chip Eng Seng to collaborate with Repton International Schools

In a filing on Monday, CES says it sees ASG as an opportunity for the group to expand the scope of its education business, and that it seeks to leverage on ASG’s expertise in education consulting services for CES to possibly provide similar services in Asia Pacific, the broader region and even globally should the opportunity arise.

“[CES] recognises ASG’s years of experience in providing full-service education consulting services, which has helped many international students gain access to education opportunities in the USA, and smoothened their transition and integration into a new environment and culture which may be unfamiliar to them,” says the group.

ASG founders, David Ho Voon Way and Ng Ching Ching, have provided a joint guarantee for the target’s performance.

Shares in CES closed 0.5% lower at 95 cents on Monday. 

Ex-remisier Ng denies being coached; RHB trader Alex Chew admits to telling the whole truth only in third statement

SINGAPORE (Apr 23): In Day Six of the trial of John Soh Chee Wen, the defence wrapped up their cross examination of the prosecution’s first witness, former OCBC Securities remisier Ng Kit Kiat. Ng had on Monday admitted to having performed trades without third-party authorisation. The trades performed without third-party authorisation included those based on orders given by a certain Ang Cheau Hoon Alice and Kent Eng Peng Huat, both of whom are remisiers at UOB Kay Hian, for accounts held by Ang's husband Poh Sian Hong as well as Eng's wife Yew Yong Mei. When asked by Soh’s defenc....
Read More >>

Singapore's pre-election cabinet change sets Heng up for top job

(Apr 23): Singapore’s Finance Minister Heng Swee Keat was promoted to deputy prime minister on Tuesday, a move that further positions him to succeed Prime Minister Lee Hsien Loong. Heng will become Lee’s deputy on May 1 while retaining the finance post, the prime minister’s office said in an emailed statement. He will also continue chairing the Future Economy Council and National Research Foundation. The sole cabinet promotion bolsters the odds that 57-year-old Heng will be the ruling People’s Action Party’s choice for prime minister after the general elections, which may come ....
Read More >>

OUE dumps stake in Nuvest Capital with no profit or loss

SINGAPORE (Apr 22): OUE announced it had sold its 33% stake in Nuvest Capital for US$1 million ($1.36 million). The buyer was Aje Kumar Saigal who owns the other 67% of Nuvest Capital. OUE acquired its 33% stake in Nuvest Capital in 2015 for US$1 million, so it has neither made a gain nor a loss. But in 2014, OUE invested US$200 million in Nuvest Real Return Fund which is managed by Nuvest Capital. Last Nov, OUE’s executive chairman had told analysts that the company plans to redeem the fund soon as it had not been profitable. In its FY2014 annual report, OUE's investment in t....
Read More >>